The Online Writing Center (TOWC) is an outreach service that provides free writing feedback for students enrolled on the main campus at New Mexico State University (NMSU). The Center welcomes students from all departments and from all undergraduate and graduate programs.
Submitting a request for an online consultation
On a limited basis during the academic year, students can request an appointment for online consultation at any phase of the writing process, including idea generation, the drafting stage, and the final revision. In order to submit a request, students must do the following:
Note: The process for online appointments has changed recently. Please read these instructions thoroughly before uploading your document.
- Fill out an online “Request Appointment Form” available by clicking here. You will upload your essay on this form as well.
- Add email@example.com to your email contacts. We will be emailing your feedback from this email address.
- Check your email within 3-4 business days for your feedback.
Students are welcome to request one online consultation session per week during the academic year.
Obtaining feedback from an online consultation
Students should allow a minimum of 3 to 4 business days (not including weekends and holidays) for a response, and we ask that you plan your writing and request accordingly. Students will receive an email attachment that includes collaborative writing and idea input, inserted text comments and questions, feedback, comments, and suggestions for revision.
Due to demand and availability, we only allow one submission per week per client. This is to ensure the quality of feedback use of time.
During peak times such as the midpoint and end of semesters, we may exercise 1-hour time limits on consultations. Therefore, we may not be able to review all pages submitted during these times, especially drafts longer than 15 double-spaced pages in commonly-used, 12-point fonts (e.g., Times New Roman, Cambria, or Calibri).
Again, we ask that students add firstname.lastname@example.org to your preferred email account so all correspondence is received promptly. Students may also send questions, concerns, and inquiries to email@example.com.
What to expect from your consultation
- Convenient but limited availability. The Online Writing Center is convenient because you do not have to be on campus to receive help. The Online Writing Center team is significantly smaller than the face-to-face tutoring team, though, so they can only accommodate online submissions on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Different forms, same quality. A face-to-face Writing Center appointment allows the Writing Center consultant to provide immediate oral feedback. The Online Writing Center, on the other hand, relies solely on written feedback. But both spaces, however, work toward the same goal: helping you with your writing.
- The Online Writing Center is not open during the summers, although the Writing Center in Clara Belle Williams Hall, Room 102 has limited hours during the summers for in-person consultations. Visit our homepage or “In-Person Consultations” under the “Consultations” tab for updates on in-person consultation availability.
We all learn a great deal from the various topics and subjects each of you brings to the Writing Center, which is one of the most rewarding aspects about being a consultant. We look forward to working with you and learning about all of the interesting work you are doing at NMSU.